Accidental Ice Cream with Berry Compote
As the title suggests, this recipe evolved completely by accident. I was attempting to make cake icing out of some left-over mascarpone, but after adding too much milk the mixture was far too runny to do anything with...or so I thought. After putting it in the freezer in an attempt to thicken the mixture, I totally forgot about it and found it a few of hours later when it was completely solid, however after trying it, my housemate and I realised that this series of disasters had actually resulted in some delicious and ridiculously easy-to-make ice cream. It seems every cloud does has a silver lining! The only problem with an accidental recipe is that I obviously wasn't measuring anything as I went along, so I have had to so some guesswork - you get the general idea though.
You Will Need...
250g mascarpone cheese
Roughly 200ml whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-5 tbsp icing sugar
A small punnet each of raspberries & blueberries
You Will Need To...
- Put the raspberries and blueberries in a saucepan with a dash of water and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes, until they have burst and resemble a jammy compote. To make this ultra smooth pass through a sieve. Leave to cool.
- Whisk the mascarpone until smooth. Gradually add the milk to thin the mixture, and whisk until the lumps have disappeared.
- Stir in the vanilla and sugar to taste. Put in the freezer for half an hour or so,
- Once the ice cream is partially set, fold through half of the compote to achieve a rippled effect - be very gentle to avoid the whole thing turning into an ugly pink mess.
- Place the ice-cream back in the freezer for a couple of hours or until completely frozen.
- Serve with the rest of the compote spooned on top.
Enjoy! C x