This apple strudel serves as a welcome break from the post-Christmas detox. An easy yet impressive pudding, this strudel can be prepared in the morning ready to shove in the oven later on. One important thing to remember is to let the apple mixture cool down completely before wrapping in pastry… trust me disasters will occur if you do not do this, I speak from experience!
To serve 6 you will need...
4 eating or cooking apples peeled cored and cut into small chunks
100g caster sugar
100g sultanas or raisins
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
150g pecans or walnuts (optional)
6 sheets of filo pastry
1 tbsp of demerara sugar
Icing sugar cream or ice cream to serve
You will need to...
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Peel and core your apples, then chop them into roughly 2cm chunks.
- Add the apples, caster sugar and cinnamon to a saucepan, cover with a lid and simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the apples are soft but still textured.
- Remove from heat and stir in the dried fruit and nuts.
- Leave to cool completely before wrapping in pastry
You can prepare this filling several days in advance and store in the fridge.
- Melt a knob of butter in a small pan,
- Remove the filo pastry from the fridge, lay the first sheet on a flat surface and brush with the butter.
- Lay another sheet and repeat the process until you have used all the pastry sheets.
- Brush the final layer with butter and spoon the cooled apple mixture neatly down the middle of the pastry.
- Leave an inch or so at the end of the pastry so it doesn't spill out of the end.
- Wrap the pastry around the filling tucking the ends in neatly and ensuring the seal is at the bottom.
- Lay the strudel on a baking tray, lightly score the top of the pastry diagonally at equal intervals along the length of the strudel.
- Sprinkle demerara sugar generously on top, this caramelises, making a sweet crunchy outside.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the finishing touches sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with cream or ice cream.
Enjoy Z x