Chorizo & Paprika Pearl Barley Risotto
Our latest obsession is pearl barley - it is a cheap and healthy way of filling yourself up, being low in fat but high in fibre. It added a lot more substance to our
recipe. Although on its own barley can taste a little bland, this recipe is a good way of jazzing the grain up as it is bursting with both colours and flavours. This recipe is a good starting point into which you can add any leftover veg or meat you have kicking around in the fridge - previously we have added mushrooms, leeks, spinach and chicken, all of which worked well. The use of pearl barley as opposed to the usual arborio risotto rice also saves a lot of effort as less stirring is required so you can pretty much just leave it to cook itself!
To Serve 4 You Will Need...
300g pearl barley
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 chorizo ring
2 tsp paprika
Approx. 1 litre chicken stock
Salt and pepper
1 clove of garlic
A splash of red wine
Chopped fresh basil to garnish
You Will Need To...
- Finely chop the onions, place in a large heavy based pan over a medium heat until soft, then add the crushed garlic.
- Slice the chorizo into discs and add to the pan, fry for about 3-5 mins.
- Add the pearl barley, stir, and then pour the chopped tomatoes into the pan with a splash of red wine.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer - cook for about forty five minutes until the pearl barley is soft.. If there appears to be not enough liquid, simply add a little more stock or boiling water to stop the mixture from drying out.
- Stir through the paprika and seasoning to taste
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Enjoy! C & Z x