Smoked Mackerel and Quinoa Salad
This is a healthy salad which only takes about 20 minutes to make. The smoked mackerel gives a strong flavour to the quinoa, and no extra salt needs to be added as the mackerel provides a strong salty flavour. This recipe would also work with any other fish of your choice. I used the dressing from our
to add a lemony flavour which ties the dish together nicely.
To serve 4 you will need...
- 4 smoked mackerel fillets
-2 red peppers
- 200g cherry tomatoes
-1 chicken stock cube
-1/2 a pint of water
-Chopped parsley to garnish
For the dressing...
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
-1 tsp Dijon mustard
You will need to...
-Preheat the oven to 180C
- Chop the peppers into strips and half the cherry tomatoes, place in a large baking tray season and drizzle with oil.
- Place the mackerel fillets onto a sheet of tinfoil, squeeze some lemon juice over them, season and wrap in tinfoil, if there is room in the baking tray then place them next to the chopped veg, if not place on a separate baking tray and place in the oven for 10-15 mins.
- Meanwhile place the quinoa in a dry sauce pan and toast on a fairly high heat for a few minutes until golden brown. Keep shaking it around the pan to stop it burning then add 1/2 a pint of chicken stock to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer for approximately 10 minutes, then remove from heat and leave to steam with the lid on for approximately 5 minutes. Meanwhile remove the mackerel from the oven and check the peppers and tomatoes and cooked, if not turn up the heat and leave the veg in for 5 minutes longer.
-To make the dressing, combine the mustard, oil and lemon juice - season to taste.
- When the veg is done place quinoa in the middle of your serving dish surround with the roasted tomatoes and peppers, then peel the skin away from the mackerel, this should be easy when the fish is hot. Break the mackerel up removing any bones you come across and mix into the quinoa. Add the dressing and scatter with chopped parsley.