A Healthy Yet Hearty Coconut Loaf
We all know January is a good time to re-evaluate and make a few healthy changes after enjoying the inevitable excesses of Christmas and New Year. Having said this, there is only so much kale and courgetti a person can take, and on a cold grey January day I think we all need something a bit more comforting to boost our spirits!
This is where this Coconut Loaf recipe comes in pretty handy - it ticks all the boxes, including the 'January Health-Kick' one!
With it's lovely soft texture and sweet faintly-tropical, coconutty flavour, its hard to believe it is relatively virtuous, being free from refined sugar and simple carbohydrates, and high in protein-rich almonds. It is also free from gluten and dairy, so a great one to have up your sleeve if you are baking for anyone with food intolerances. It is also a really versatile loaf that is just as dreamy at breakfast time topped with almond butter and sliced banana, as it is alongside some fresh raspberries and a dollop of crème fraîche as an elegant dessert.
The recipe comes from Indy Power who is behind The Little Green Spoon - she has so many fantastic and inspiring healthy recipes! I don't usually stick to other peoples recipes 100%, however this one of Indy's was so good it didn't need changing at all and I simply had to share it on our blog as the loaf disappeared so quickly...always a good sign.
You Will Need...
60ml Coconut Oil
2 tbsp Honey
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
240g Ground Almonds
55g Coconut Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
250g Tinned Coconut Milk
2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
You Will Need To...
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl with the honey and melted coconut oil.
- Add in the ground almonds, coconut flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Gradually mix in the coconut milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour into a greased and lined loaf tin, and bake at the bottom of your oven at 180C for about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the desiccated coconut on top of the loaf and return to the oven to bake for a further 20-25 minutes, or until lovely and golden and a skewer comes out clean.